PDA

View Full Version : foundation integrity

kar
04-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I am considering purchasing a house with a wet crawl space. I am considering a basement system. What I wonder is if the constant water pressure and water seepage throught the foundation walls will affect the structural integrity of the poured in place foundation. Thanks.

Mark
04-05-2005, 08:46 AM
There is always moisture in the soil around foundations and under slabs. Certainly directing surface water away from the foundation is helpful.

Most water enters the basement or crawlspace through cracks or seams in the foundation where the floor, wall and footing meet.

Normally we dont see structural damage from water itself, usually the foundation damage comes from expansive soils that put pressure on the foundations. Also I dont beleive there will be constant water pressure, most basements and crawlspaces leak when it rains and this water is surface water not water table. If there was constant water they never would have been able to put in the foundation. We see thousands of foundation water problems a year and it is very rare to see structural damage.