PDA

View Full Version : Basement odor

brigid
04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
We had a Permaseal basement system installed last fall, which seems to be working great. However, since the day of the installation, there is a foul sewage smell in the basement. The installers returned to flush out the system and confirm there were no leaks. However, this odor persists, and is quite bad sometimes. Now it is getting into the house through the air circulation. THe odor is worst near the floor, but is not coming from the floor drains or the laundry tub. It is worst in two spots, one near the outside wall, and the other close to the location of the sump pump. Is it possible that a sewer drain was damaged, or is broken, under the basement floor?

mike MN
09-23-2005, 09:39 PM
They may have broken the sewer main when hammering the floor open. You may want to have the sump opened up and check the water in there to see if there is any leak in there. You may want to get some kind of die to put down your sink and/or toilet and see if it runs into the system. that may help you pin point the smell. I have been working for a basment system dealer for about a year and a half and I have seen some strange thing that people have done. Hope something that i had to say helped. MIKE

brigid
09-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the reply....

I am happy to report that this problem has been fixed! The Pemaseal people came back, no problem, and sure enough, there was a break in the sewer pipe, close to where the system was installed. The pipe was repaired within 2 hours, and I am a very happy customer (especially happy to get rid of the smell). THanks Permaseal, a 1st class operation!