PDA

View Full Version : Mold in Cellar

Ginny
09-03-2003, 05:48 PM
I have requested Basement Systems to contact me regarding a solution to an recent problem with basement mold. I do however have cardboard boxes, wood and tools in my cellar right now. All have quickly showed mold problems which has developed over the last 2 weeks.

It would be nice to know of a process that a homeowner begins with until the underlying problem is solved. Since family members have passed away recently, I have been the collecting ground for some non value, but sentimental, family heirlooms. What type of materials do I keep? I would like to know what I should start to get rid of imediately.

I am thinking that the cardboard boxes should be replaced with plastic. Should tools and building wood also be destroyed?

Mark
09-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Ginny,

Thanks for your question. This is a very common question and problem. First of all mold needs food, water/moisture and the proper tempature to grow. Most homes fall into the proper temperature range and are made or have plenty of food sources, wood, paper, sheetrock and othe organic materials. Water and moisture however are the one element you can control.

If you have standing water you may need a water control system and super sump. If you only have a condensation or humidity problem a SaniDry dehumidification systems should be able to handle the situation. Also be sure to keep all windows and doors closed during the summer so the warm moist air remains outside.

It cerainly is wise to store items in plastic containers especially if they are on the floor. Controlling the moisture however is the most important thing you can do for your home.

Basement Systems can also leave you a condensation test kit for you to test the air yourself. Just call your local Basement systems dealer or call 1-800-541-0487 to find the one nearest to you.

Thanks
Mark Daconto VP
Basement Systems