PDA

View Full Version : Thermaldry floor

JimD
02-02-2007, 10:25 PM
The Thermal dry floor is installed and seems to make noise when you walk on it - it seems to be mostly movement around the edge of the tiles. Some of the tiles seem to stick up higher than others on the edges to create an uneven surface. I've been assured by the local installer that it is OK.
1. Does a correctly installed Thermal dry floor make noise if you walk on it?
2. Would you recommend some type of bonding adhesive agent on top of the thermal dry flooring to bond the tiles together?
I'm a little reluctant to begin carpeting if I will end up hearing the movement of the edges of the Thermal dry tiles beneath the carpet.

admin
02-05-2007, 08:16 AM
JimD,

1. The ThermalDry tiles will make some noise. Carpeting will help to quiet this a bit. If there are tile corners sticking up, a fastener can can placed to hold this down.

2. We do not recommend any bonding adhesive to bond the tiles together.

-Richard

eberky
08-08-2007, 04:16 PM
have the sounds reduced once you installed carpeting? I was told by our local rep. that the latest redesign of the floor system no longer "clicks" when you walk on it.

Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JimD
02-18-2008, 06:40 PM
The ThermalDry floor is 12" square tiles (Feb 2007) and it looks different (thinner, less sturdy) than the tiles used in the Basement Systems brochures. Yes, even after carpeting and premium padding you can hear and feel the movement of the tiles beneath. I think you need to walk on finished carpeted ThermalDry floor to decide for yourself. Your local rep. should be able to provide a reference.

eberky
02-19-2008, 06:27 AM
I have had everything installed. Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/eberky/BasementSystemWaterproofing

Since then, we have finished the basement and put carpeting down. A decent berber with a rubber padding underneath. I now understand, the "clicking" isn't gone, it's not as profound, but it certainly is NOT carpeting on a wood sub-floor...

For a dry finished basement, I am extremely happy with the installation. I'll try to post finished basement pics one of these days...

richard
03-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Hello,

The ThermalDry basement floor (http://www.basementsystems.com/basement_waterproofing/basement_floor/) is a much better alternative to a wood sub-floor (actually, as I'm sure the local Basement Systems dealer explained, a wood subfloor is one of the worst things you can install in your basement).

As eberky states, there can be some clicking with the ThermalDry, but once carpeted this should be reduced. Plus it makes for a more comfortable, dry living space.

-Richard