PDA

View Full Version : A temporary solution

touchbase
06-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Help me someone!

I was a serious victim of building negligence 2 years ago. 6 weeks into a cellar conversion I ended up with my house under a dangerous structure notice and a cellar full of water. 5 minutes of fame on BBC's watchdog and still no resolution.

I have since had emergency underpinning done to the basement but it is not enough to complete the project I now need another 60 odd thousand pounds to create a living space.

Needless to say this is way over my budget. The building inspector advised me the cellar couldn't stay like that forever but said I would probably be ok for a few years. As a separate issue I'm looking at various ways to raise the funds to complete my conversion. It was initially supposed to be a shower and changing area for my yoga class but now I will be looking at planning permission to turn it into a basement flat for rental as a more viable solution.

I won't be able to raise that kind of finance for another 2 years and in the meantime I teach yoga in the lounge. This is my livliehood. I noticed since the weather's got warmer the smell of the damp is rising and it's becoming really unpleasant in the house. This will also make it impossible for me to work as it's becoming really horrible.

There is still alot of water down there and I have a pump but I don't know if it works or how much water it can pump out. Is there any way I can pump out the water on a reular basis so even without a concrete slab I could remove all the water. until such time as I have the finance in place to complete this project.

This is a deperate situation and I will be grateful for any advice that you can give. Eventually I will dig down and carry out further underpinning and have a pump & sump etc. however I won't be able to do that for some time.

I will be grateful for all suggestions. My sister suggested I should pour bleach all over the cellar to reduce the smell. What do you think I should do.
Thank you
toucbase

Ron C
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Help me someone!

I was a serious victim of building negligence 2 years ago. 6 weeks into a cellar conversion I ended up with my house under a dangerous structure notice and a cellar full of water. 5 minutes of fame on BBC's watchdog and still no resolution.

I have since had emergency underpinning done to the basement but it is not enough to complete the project I now need another 60 odd thousand pounds to create a living space.

Needless to say this is way over my budget. The building inspector advised me the cellar couldn't stay like that forever but said I would probably be ok for a few years. As a separate issue I'm looking at various ways to raise the funds to complete my conversion. It was initially supposed to be a shower and changing area for my yoga class but now I will be looking at planning permission to turn it into a basement flat for rental as a more viable solution.

I won't be able to raise that kind of finance for another 2 years and in the meantime I teach yoga in the lounge. This is my livliehood. I noticed since the weather's got warmer the smell of the damp is rising and it's becoming really unpleasant in the house. This will also make it impossible for me to work as it's becoming really horrible.

There is still alot of water down there and I have a pump but I don't know if it works or how much water it can pump out. Is there any way I can pump out the water on a reular basis so even without a concrete slab I could remove all the water. until such time as I have the finance in place to complete this project.

This is a deperate situation and I will be grateful for any advice that you can give. Eventually I will dig down and carry out further underpinning and have a pump & sump etc. however I won't be able to do that for some time.

I will be grateful for all suggestions. My sister suggested I should pour bleach all over the cellar to reduce the smell. What do you think I should do.
Thank you
toucbase

I would not pour bleach all over, that could be dangerous.
You should call the local Basement Systems dealer in your area and get their expert opinion.