PDA

View Full Version : First time home owner - sump pump problems, please help!!

shorne99
09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I recently bought my first home a few months ago. I have had some problems with flooding in my basement. We have received a tremendous amount of rain in the past month. Water seemed to be seeping up through some cracks in the concrete floor. All the carpet in my basement got ruined so I pulled it all out. The sump pump was working correctly the whole time. The only drains that seem to go in to the sump are from the washing machine and also the bathroom in the basement.

Last week, after running the washing machine, water overflowed from the sump. The sump pump did not seem to be running. I thought that the pump had gone bad and burned itself out with the amount of water that we had. I replaced the sump pump with a brand new one, and it pumped everything out fine.

Today (3 days later) after running the washing machine again, there is more water everywhere!!! The pump is brand new, but does not seem to be running??? On a side note, when it was running (both the old and the new one) there seemed to be a strange gurgling noise coming from the drains/sink when they did run....

Any help or ideas or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!!!

richard
09-04-2007, 04:06 PM
shorne99,

Congratulations on your new home!

This is a tough one to diagnose without getting in there and seeing it.

Also, it's not a good practice to run your washing machine discharge or discharge from your bathroom into your sump pump (http://www.basementsystems.com/sump_pump/) (unless this is a sewage pump and then we're talking about different things), as you're just taxing your pump with extra load. I'm sure there's a reason why it doesn't simply drain out via gravity, but if this can be changed I would do it.

The best thing you can do is contact your local Basement Systems dealer and have them come out for a Free Estimate and Inspection. Call us at 800-638-7048 or fill out the online form for a waterproofing estimate (http://www.basementsystems.com/forms/contact.php) and we'll get you in touch with your local dealer.

Thanks,
Richard