PDA

View Full Version : Waterguard installation

Kevin
09-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I'll apologize if this question has already been answered, but I need to know more about the Waterguard & Supersump installation that I'm going have done in November.

Background: My house was built with a waiver from the builder/developer to not install weeping tile around the house due to street slope/grade.
During heavy rainstorms, water weeps through the unfinished basement wall, but not at the floor-wall joint. Basement Systems is coming to fix the cracks with Flexispan as well as install a partial Waterguard system on the wall of up-hill side of the house (there is no evidence of water on the other walls).

It appears that Waterguard will only fix the problem after the water has already enter the basement. Is this true?

Does the Waterguard system attempt, in any way, to alleviate the hydrostatic pressure building up outside the basement wall (ie. mitigate the problem before the water has a chance to enter the basement)?

I'm afraid by fixing the cracks and the Waterguard will not address the true problem of high hydrostatic pressure outside. Is it worth it go through with the Wateguard system? Should I look to another solution?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

richard
09-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Kevin,

Your concern is a common one.

Yes, WaterGuard drains water away from beneath your basement floor. So in effect, yes, water has to pass by the exterior foundation wall to get to the WaterGuard. Also WaterGuard basement waterproofing system (http://www.basementsystems.com/basement_waterproofing/waterproofing_products/basement_waterproofing_system/waterguard.php) and a SuperSump sump pump system (http://www.basementsystems.com/basement_waterproofing/waterproofing_products/sump_pump/super_sump_pump.php) absolutely address and alleviate the hydrostatic pressure by removing the water that is building up around the foundation.

So what you are asking is that wouldn't it be better to install an exterior waterproofing system to drain away the water sitting around your foundation.

There are two differences between an interior (WaterGuard) and an exterior drainage system. Interior does allow for the water to pass through the footing/wall joint, so some people are concerned with the integrity of the concrete foundation with water being in contact with it, but even with an exterior system water is still going to sit against the concrete -- plus most bridges are built out of concrete and not only have water sitting around them, but have to deal with current as well (it's pretty much a non issue).

The second difference is that an exterior system sits beneath about 8 feet of loose soil... so what keeps it from clogging with mud? Actually, many many cases, Basement Systems installs our WaterGuard system because the exterior system has clogged, and this could be in year one, two, three, four, etc. of the building of the house. With WaterGuard we can offer a lifetime warranty, because the system is highly clog-resistant, because it doesn't sit in the dirt (some interior drainage systems, drain tile (http://www.basementsystems.com/basement_waterproofing/waterproofing_products/basement_waterproofing_system/french_drain.php), does sit in the dirt).

Most exterior systems come with a 5 or 10 year warranty, but even if it was lifetime, how is it repaired? ... the same way it was installed, by digging up an 8-foot wide trench, removing any landscaping, decks, porches, driveways, etc., down to the footing and re-installing the drainage pipe.

Both systems will drain to a sump pump that is inside the basement, so they are similar there, although an exterior system could simply use a drainage channel, but it's one more part of the system that can clog.

There is an online basement waterproofing Learning Center (http://www.basementsystems.com/learning_center/basement/clay_bowl_effect.php) on our Web site that may help make this more clear than I have explained.

-Richard