PDA

View Full Version : Corner Crack Repair

FrankMcG
07-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a crack in the poured foundation/basement wall in one corner of my house and it does leak when it rains outside. The crack goes from floor to ceiling but the water only comes in about 18" above the floor and runs down.
Injecting something into the crack seems like a great repair to me my problem is this crack is exactly in the corner of the basement. Maybe I haven't searched enough on the net but I have yet to see a picture of a corner repair done.

So I guess the question is what are the repair options? To keep costs down I would love a DIY product but haven't seen anything demonstrated for a corner repair.

Thanks,

Frank

JacquesBouchard
07-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Good question, Frank.

I'm skeptical about the urethane corner crack repair that you cited. In my experience, urethane seals (as well as caulk) are poor ways to repair any crack in the wall. There's two reasons for this:

1. Urethane can bond to the dirt and deposits inside the crack that have washed in with the water. Because of this, they form a looser, less reliable seal in the basement wall.

2. Many basement wall crack repairs that are on the market today fail because they're inflexible and unable to adapt to the constant shifting of the walls as they expand and contract with temperature and moisture. While urethane seals are able to expand somewhat, basement wall cracks can easily expand to over 200% their size. Urethane doesn't come even close to expanding that much.

I've heard of other options for repairing corner wall cracks such as hydraulic cement. unfortunately, while that creates a strong bond, it also does not move with the wall. The problem that caused the crack is never addressed, and eventually the seal will either break or a new crack will form somewhere else.

There's some exterior solutions that add a plastic waterproof barrier on the outside of the wall, but excavating the foundation will require you to remove anything near the crack, including porches, foliage, gardens, steps, etc., and the process is extremely invasive and expensive.

Basement systems has a wall crack repair that is installed in three steps.

1. A special polyurethane injection is applied to the crack that is flexible enough to move and flex properly with the wall crack.
2. A polyurethane ether foam strip is run down the crack sealant and down either into your perimeter drain or in to a 5-10 gallon drywell created in the floor.
3. The foam is coated for a tooled-off gray look and the drywell is covered in concrete so the basement is repaired with no unsightly end result.

Fixing a basement wall crack is really something that takes some training and background, but the repair is not too expensive. Do-it-yourself solutions can work some of the time, but risking a flooded basement, with the damaged property and cleanup costs, the risk is not worth the money you might save. If you're interested, we can offer you a free estimate along with some literature. (http://www.basementsystems.com/forms/contact.php)

For further reading, I have an article I wrote on the topic here. (http://www.basementsystems.com/press/view.php?id=90)

I have a crack in the poured foundation/basement wall in one corner of my house and it does leak when it rains outside. The crack goes from floor to ceiling but the water only comes in about 18" above the floor and runs down.
Injecting something into the crack seems like a great repair to me my problem is this crack is exactly in the corner of the basement. Maybe I haven't searched enough on the net but I have yet to see a picture of a corner repair done.

So I guess the question is what are the repair options? To keep costs down I would love a DIY product but haven't seen anything demonstrated for a corner repair.

Thanks,

Frank