View Full Version : What to do?

10-06-2004, 02:44 PM
We have a water problem coming from hydrostatic pressure.
In a heavy rain the seam between the floor and the wall leaks.
There are some cracks on the floor but not major cracks.
We had one company come in and told us basically to put in a sump pump. Another company said put in sump pump with a drain around the perimeter. One price was $800 the other was $5300. Is this the right way to go? This is a big difference in price any suggestions?

10-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Water entering a basement from the floor/wall joint is very common. It usually occures during rains as you say and is caused by backfill saturation around the foundation.

By installing just a sump pump there is no way to guarantee a dry basement floor. The water entering from the perimeter will also have to travel across the floor to reach the sump if is located in the low spot. This alone may not solve your problem.

Installing a perimeter drain system will collect the water at the floor wall joint where it is entering the basement and channel it to the sump pump. This method is usually guaranteed and will keep the basement floor dry.

10-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Thank you for your reply. We have checked with other companies and Basement Systems is the one we decided to go with. We are getting the works! We decided to get the super sump, and a drain around the perimeter. We also decided to brighten up the walls with Bright Wall because we've had some moisture problems through the cinderblocks. We also chose to go with new windows. It's alot of money to spend but the price was better than any other company. We really want to be able to use our basement as living space so it's worth the investment. No more worries, we're looking forward to a dry basement from now on.