Basement Systems Help Forum  

Go Back   Basement Systems Help Forum > Basement Systems Help Forum > General Questions
Basement Systems Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Default Why does water first enters thru floor/wall joint?

Hi,
I have a general question. Why does water enters thru floor/wall joint first? For water to enter from there, the water level under the basement floor should have already been just below the floor touching the bottom of the floor, right? So, why does it not enter thru floor cracks first? I appreciate your help,
Thanks.
Contact Basement Systems
Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Hi,

It just depends on how readily the water can move beneath the basement floor, and where the low spots are in the floor.

If the water beneath the floor can't reach the basement floor cracks because the earth beneath is too hard packed, then it is going to rise up through the path of least resistance. It could also be that the floor cracks are in an area that is higher than the floor/wall joint (although that seems a little extreme, we've seen everything).

Without seeing the situation, it sounds like those are the most likely answer.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Richard,
Thanks for the reply. Depending on your answer, I can assume that water entering thru wall-floor crack first seems to be just a possibility, but it does not always happen that way. So, how is your company so successful even though you install the waterguard above the footing which is at the same level as the bottom of the floor? How are you so sure water can be trapped there without allowing it to come thru cracks?
Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Hi,

I think you're saying that the water may enter through cracks in the center of the basement floor? and not at the perimeter floor-wall joint? If this is the question, then I can answer it as follows:

If there are leaking floor cracks, we will install a drainage channel beneath the floor where these cracks are and then re-concrete over them in addition to the perimeter WaterGuard drainage channel. This will catch this water.

-Richard
Old 05-14-2008, 01:45 PM

Richard,
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to understand the concept of waterguard. Why do you install waterguard on top of footing? Why not at the base of the footing? Anyway, you will remove the floor at the wall-floor joint by digging it to install watergurad. So, why not you place a perforated tile at the base of the footing? I think it should catch most of the water before it even rises to the bottom of the floor. Please clarify,
Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Hi,

We install WaterGuard on top of the footing to keep it out of the soil. This makes it more clog resistant. As far as how high the water rises below the floor is of no real concern, so long as we catch it before it gets to the floor.

We have 105 dealers that install WaterGuard in the U.S., Canada, the U.K. and Ireland. Our network has easily installed more than 200,000 systems. Very few of our WaterGuard systems need any future work. We pull out clogged drain tile systems all the time.

Thanks for the questions,
Richard