Basement Systems Help Forum  

Go Back   Basement Systems Help Forum > Basement Systems Help Forum > General Questions
Basement Systems Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Sand area near sump pump

In my basement I have a sump pump that does not work but no water is coming in. According to the previous owner no water is coming in as the problem has been resolved on the exterior. And after more then a year that appears to be true.

Next to the sump pump is another hole in the concrete about 2' in diameter and of unknown depth. It is filled with sand.

Can someone tell me the purpose of this "sand filled hole".

thank you
Contact Basement Systems
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Hello there!

Here's our theory (although more information and/or a photo might change things):

When your sump pit was being dug, the contractor hit a ledge or extremely large rock mass. Instead of attempting to blast out the mass or go through the extremely difficult process of chiseling out a sump pit from within the rock, they simply moved over a few feet and started to dig a sump pit again nearby. To avoid a safety hazard, the old pit would have needed to be filled in.

If this is the case, which is likely, then it would be advisable to remove some of the sand and pour new concrete in the hole that was created.