Basement Systems Help Forum  

Go Back   Basement Systems Help Forum > Basement Systems Help Forum > General Questions
Basement Systems Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Default electric pump dripping

I got the Basement systems system installed with the triple protection pumps. the two zoeller pumps and the electric battery backup pump. My one primary pump pumps out water about everyhour. The second pump and battery pump never go off. The problem is the electric pump drips water. I can hear the dripping of the water as it is constant. B.S. has come out twice to try and resolve this matter, even replacing the electric pump and check valve. It seemed to have stopped the dripping from the electric pump but only for a day or so. Has anyone else experience this issue, any ideas on resolving it?
I think part of the reason my pump goes off every hour is due to the electric pump leaking the water back into the pit.
Contact Basement Systems
Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Triple Safe

Did you ever hear back from Basement Systems on this issue? I just had a Triple Safe installed and appear to be having the same problem.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgaddy View Post
Did you ever hear back from Basement Systems on this issue? I just had a Triple Safe installed and appear to be having the same problem.
Generally, if the pump is running continuously, it's because there's a continuous supply of groundwater underneath your basement. This is not common, but it does occur in the industry from time to time. However, it's a good idea to follow up with the Basement Systems dealer who installed it in the first place, so they can stop by and make sure there are no problems with the installation that could be contributing. If your system is newly-installed, it could simply be a wet time in your area that will peter out in a week or two. Otherwise, better to have groundwater in your sump pit than in your basement, IMHO.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Thx for the response. I hear you on the continuous ground water- and I do have some of that's for sure. But the issue appears to be leakage from the electric battery backup. I don't believe there's a check value on the electric battery backup pump (this pump and the primary pump use the same discharge) and the water is leaking from the pipe into the unit and out into the pit.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

My question to both derekgaddy and skidmark845 is:

How are the discharge lines run out of the house? You should have 2 separate lines going outside, with 2 IceGuards and THEN tying into one 3 or 4 inch line running away from the house or 2 separate lines running away from the house. If they are tied together inside, they should not be. If the primary pump only kicks on once an hour, then there is no reason the secondary pump and battery back up should be going on...obviously the water level is not high enough to warrant those 2 pumps going on. If you both are still haibng this problem, feel free to give me a call at 1-800-541-0487 and I'll try to get this taken care of for you.

Thanks for choosing Basement Systems!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Thx for your reply. The lines tie together outside- all of that looks clean. The primary pump kicks on every 20 min. or so. My secondary and batter backup do not run. The issue is the battery backup pumps leaks water out of the bottom after the primary pump is engaged. It leaks for about 10-15 min. and then at about 20 min. the primary pump kicks on- and this sequence of events happens every 20 min. I can hear and see when I take the triple pump cover off the leakage from the battery backup pump. With all of this said- my local dealer came out this past Sat. and replaced my battery backup pump. For about 2 days I had no leakage from the battery backup pump- but then all of a sudden the same thing started happening. Primary pump kicks on and flushes water out the pit and then the battery pump starts leaking water from the underneath the pump into the pit. I called my dealer today and they are going to come out and take another look.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the check valve is the issue. Because the check valve at the battery back up pump is horizontal instead of vertical, (like the one at the base of the primary pump), the flap inside maybe be stuck open and allowing the water that is left in the pipe after discharge to flow back through. Have them check the valve again and get it to where the flap will work properly and also have them check that the liner is clean of any silt or sediment. Be sure to have the annual maintenance done to keep you TripleSafe working properly. It is well worth it!

Hope this works once and for all! Let us know how you make out today.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM

Thx- that's interesting RE the check valve. This is the second check valve in a week and the same issue. Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 PM

My dealer got back to me and said it's normal for the check valve on the battery backup to let some water thru and it will drip thru the battery backup back into the pit?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

I checked with one of our top service men here, and he said it is probably just the flap...not that the check valve is faulty, but that the way the flap is falling in place being placed horizontally is probably causing it to stick and let all the remaining water in the discharge line when the pump shuts off to flow back into the liner. It is normal for a little water to drip back through, it prevents the pump from becomign air locked, but should not be as much as the problem you are describing. We are always happy to help a dealer figure out these problems, so feel free to ask them to talk to someone here about the issue or call me directly.