Basement Systems Help Forum  

Go Back   Basement Systems Help Forum > Basement Systems Help Forum > General Questions
Basement Systems Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 AM

Question Sewage ejector sump pump questions

I had a toilet installed in my basement as well as a new sewage sump pump pit and sewage ejector sump pump for the toilet discharge. The sewage sump pump pit is 10 feet away from the regular sump pump pit. The sewage sump pump runs maybe 10 times as often as the regular sump pump even though no one is using the toilet.

First question: Is a sewage sump pump pit designed to also handle regular ground water or it it supposed to be sealed so it only accepts toilet discharges? I just installed a new check valve so I don't think that is the problem.

Second question: The sewage sump pump runs until there is no water left in the bottom of the pit and then keeps running for about 5 more seconds. Is that normal?
Contact Basement Systems
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Answer to question #1 - Sewage pumps are designed to pump waste water not ground seepage. The liner must not be perforated because you don't want waste leeching out under the floor.

Answer to question #2 - The pump should shut off after the contents are pumped. Check with a local plumber.