Serious basement water issues, lots of mold
We could really use some help. We've had water seeping in our unfinished basement since we moved there in '96. The previous owners had the concrete floor raised about 6", leaving a trough about 12" wide around perimeter of the basement to catch the water. It runs to 2 sump wells. Over the years, the water problem seems to have worsened. Any time it rains, snows & thaws, the sumps can hardly keep up. The drain (I guess that's what it's called) has gotten clogged with dirt, debris & now mold & mildew. The basement walls have mold on them where the water comes in. It smells terrible! We can't kill the mold because the water never stops seeping in! A couple weeks ago we got a lot of rain, then the power went out for about 12 hrs & our sumps quit & we had about 1 ft. of water in the basement. We had to toss a lot of stuff. I can't take this anymore! I think my kids and I are starting to be affected by the mold (allergies, coughs, etc.) My husband doesn't believe the mold is causing it, but the amount of mold in that basement is unreal. We need help! But, we have a tight budget and can't afford a lot to fix this. Any ideas??