Most of us know instinctively that bad-smelling air isn’t healthy to breathe. This is especially true with moldy, musty smells that often originate in damp basements and crawl spaces.
If there’s enough moisture for mold to grow, it’s a sure bet that dust mites are also present. Read on to find out more about these irritating organisms and how you can keep them out of your house.
A stale, musty smell is a sure sign that you have mold in your house and probably dust mites as well. In order to reproduce, mold puts microscopic spores into the air. Dust mites, on the other hand, produce microscopic feces that contain harmful compounds. Ingesting these minute particles causes allergic reactions in many people –itchy eyes, skin rashes, sneezing and other flu-like symptoms. Other people react more severely, suffering from respiratory ailments like asthma.
Mold can’t take hold. A SaniDry dehumidifier from Basement Systems is designed to keep the entire basement dry. The unit shown here drains directly into the sump pump. Effective moisture control, combined with the use of mold-resistant materials, creates an environment where mold can’t take hold.
To survive, dust mites and mold must absorb moisture from the air or from damp materials. Mold and mites can’t live in dry environments. To force these pests to find another home, you have to remove their moisture supply. Here’s how to do it:
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.